Cultivate Creative Minds with Roots + Wings School of Art and Design!
Do you believe the world needs innovators? Do you have a love for art, design, science, technology and education?
We are currently accepting applications for Lead Instructor positions for our After-school Community Design Lab Program. We have multiple locations in Asheville with program hours running from 2:30pm – 5:30pm, Monday through Friday
The lead teacher requires a candidate that is energetic, captivating and creative, fulfilling the Roots + Wings’ mission to engage students in academics, critical thinking and innovation through principles of art and design, community enrichment, culture and movement. The instructor is responsible for maintaining a fun, safe and orderly environment while creating and teaching INNOVATION HOUR™ experiences daily with students ranging in grade from K – 5th. Student to teacher ratio is 1:10.
ABOUT THE ROOTS + WINGS AFTER-SCHOOL CDL PROGRAM
Roots + Wings After-school Community Design Lab program is built on an interdisciplinary, project- driven curriculum that provides a unique, creative alternative to conventional after-school care for elementary students. We provide students with opportunities to engage their potential through innovation, critical thinking, and community enrichment through a variety of ways:
- We provide a safe, nurturing, creative environment for all students.
- We work with students to learn about various creative disciplines as well as what is beyond the walls of their schools; teaching students how to find better, collective solutions to community problems through creative experimentation
- We build on academic skills—mathematics, history, science—and help apply those skills to real life.
- We believe that problem-solving starts with listening and understanding.
- We engage students in community projects that help connecting with neighborhood history builds social capital and pride for our communal spaces, along with leadership and civic responsibility.
Monday - Friday from 2:55-6:00pm, plus prep time of 45 minutes each day. August 2017 through June 2018. This position includes 3 paid personal days.
Additional pay for full day or early release days that employee chooses to work. Compensation based on experience. We are committed to providing a Living Wage for all of our employees at Roots + Wings.
- Plan weekly INNOVATION HOUR™ experiences curriculum with After-school CDL team.
- Prepare the classroom space(s) before the arrival of the participants.
- Arrange setup, operation and clean-up of activities and the organization, inventory and storing of relevant supplies and equipment.
- Ensure adequate supplies for the operation of the After-school CDL Program.
- Develop and facilitate INNOVATION HOUR™ experiences encompassing an array of different aspects of the art industry; providing participants with experience and knowledge of various artistic professions along with CDL team members. Curriculum will promote creativity, self-expression, mastery, and emotional and professional growth.
- Perform instruction in a safe, competent and professional manner.
- Create a youth development, strength’s based environment, fostering a sense of belonging, safety, and community to participants.
- Document INNOVATION HOUR™ experiences and curriculum planning as required.
- Inform the Director of any equipment that is needed or is in need of repair pertaining to the After-school CDL Program.
- Remain present with students and teaching team for the duration of the program time (2:30-5:30pm)
- Keep control of all keys for the school.
- Immediately notify Director daily of any accident or injury or other behavior issues involving a student of any class.
- Immediately notify Director of any complaint from a parent of a student or host school
- Participate in bi-weekly meetings about curriculum and teaching efforts specific to After-school CDL program
- Attend and participate in general R+W staff meetings.
- Use and keep track of the Roots + Wings iPad device for taking photos, accessing apps. Never leave it unattended.
- Bachelor’s degree / experience in field preferred
- Experience in education programs, family learning, or informal education, and the ability to engage with families in a hands-on, child-centered, and open ended manner helpful
- Proficiency with art and design tools and processes (painting, printmaking, drawing, sculpture, and beyond) preferred
- Must be able to engage young people and set structure and limits in a group setting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interest in, and subject knowledge of, the STEAM field or educational experience in the STEAM field
- Ability to react positively to a rapidly changing environment and make good decisions under pressure
- Ability to interact positively with diverse staff and visitors
- Fluency in multiple languages a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and online document sharing sites, such as Google Docs, a plus
- Proficiency with social media a plus
- Must complete CPR + First Aid Certification
- Must complete a Criminal Background Check
- Some weekend and special event days required
- Additional time is required for meetings, community outreach, staff trainings and evaluations with the director.
- Opportunities for teaching with other R+W programs may become available, depending on experience.
Please submit to email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Short video about yourself and why you feel you would be a good fit for this position (optional, but highly recommended)
Roots + Wings was founded to celebrate diversity, inclusivity, empathy, equality and kindness. At Roots + Wings, we welcome people of all race, color, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and abilities, and are committed to providing a non-discriminatory employment environment. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Any offer of employment is contingent upon receiving satisfactory references and approval of hire by applicable regulatory bodies, as appropriate. Falsification or omission of relevant information in connection with any application for employment is grounds for denial or dismissal.
Roots + Wings is an Equal Opportunity Employer Employer (EOE).